Founded in 2009, the Sarasota Mindfulness Institute (SMI) provides opportunities in and beyond Sarasota County, FL, to learn and practice mindfulness meditation. Aiming to support people in leading happier, healthier, and less stressful lives, SMI offers a weekly meditation session and monthly mindful walking in the various parks of the Sarasota area.
The Sarasota Mindfulness Institute’s Vision & Mission Statements:
Vision: SMI’s vision is to empower people to live happier, healthier, less stressful lives, and to cultivate a more peaceful, tolerant world.
Mission: SMI’s mission is to educate by offering classes and retreats in mindfulness meditation, and to provide a supportive space for building community and practicing mindfulness.
The Sarasota Mindfulness Institute’s Values Statement:
1. SMI values the well-being of individuals and communities, and seeks to optimize our health and happiness through the advancement of mindfulness meditation, both as a set of skills and a way of living.
2. SMI strives to create a supportive environment where everyone’s voice is equally heard, irrespective of race, class, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, economic standing, educational background, political beliefs, age, ability or religion.
3. SMI recognizes the importance of building community, and to this end, offers regularly scheduled group meditation sessions for the benefit of all.
4. SMI provides affordable educational programs which reflect the interests and needs of our community, growing our course offerings as our community grows. All are welcome, regardless of ability to pay.
5. SMI commits to wise stewardship of the organization, as well as to acting and speaking in an ethically responsible manner.
6. SMI seeks to cultivate harmony, integrity, and wholeness in relationship to self, others, and society.
7. SMI believes that developing compassion and promoting “lovingkindness” can effect positive change in ourselves and in our world.
'Mindfulness isn't difficult. We just need to remember to do it.'